FAVORITE SONGS OF 2006 (as chosen in 2006)
- “The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack” by Liars
- “Us Ones in Between” by Sunset Rubdown
- “Postcards of Italy” by Beirut
- (tie) “I Feel Like Going Home” by Yo La Tengo // “Hold On, Hold On” by Neko Case
- “LoveStoned/ I Think She Knows (Interlude)” by Justin Timberlake
* listen to my Favorite Tracks of 2006 on Spotify via P|M|W Playlist
Looking at the notes that I had for 2006, I was shocked at how fucking stacked of a year it was for amazing single songs. I have no issues with the selections here, I’m mostly just surprised that I was able to boil it down to a top five (six, i guess) at all. There were selections by Thom Yorke, Swan Lake, Mew, Midlake, and a dozen others that could have made this list.
Looking at these selections, I would still stand by the track from Liars as the top pick. It’s a knockout track, that’s as heartbreaking as it is gorgeous. In the years since I originally put this together, I would have to say that the Neko Case and Justin Timberlake tracks are the ones that have had the most spins. Truth be told, it’s not even the entire Timberlake track. It’s the second part that I fell in love with then and continue to be mildly obsessed. It’s a gorgeous, sexy, pop song and when the beat drops out and it turns on the strings - it’s pretty much love at first listen. As for the Neko jam, it’s a fucking killer with some of the best writing of the entire year.
I could go on and on. I’m actually going to enjoy the hell out of revisiting 2006 when I go back over these, but for the meantime, here is the list as it stood then.
* (previous year’s top fives)